Radio Licensing FAQs

Find answers to commonly asked questions about FCC Licensing. The rules and regulations can be confusing, we are here to help with any of your questions.

Do I need an FCC License? 

Yes, if you are operating radios that are on frequencies listed in the FCC Rules and Regulations.

How do I renew an expired license?

You cannot renew an expired license if it is past 30 days from the expiration date. You must apply for a new license. Contact us and we can help.

What is the penalty for operating without a license?

According to the FCC Policy Statement 1.80 - $10,000.00 per day per license.

How long do we have to file a construction notice?

A licensee has one year from the date of grant to complete a construction filing with the FCC.

What happens if I don’t complete my construction filing within the 1-year time frame?

The FCC allows you 30 days past the construction deadline to complete the filing. If not completed within the 30-day window, your frequencies are placed on termination pending. Then, you have another 30 days to file a petition to request the FCC not remove those channels from your license. Once that 30-day window is passed, the FCC will remove those channels from the current license and you will be required to refile for those channels.

My license contains both wideband and narrowband emissions. How do I meet FCC compliance?

You must complete a modification to the license. If the modification is not submitted then the application being submitted to the FCC for any reason will be dismissed and all fees paid will be lost. For more details please speak to one of our specialists so we can guide you through the process BEFORE you lose your application fees.

Do I need an Original Signature on the FCC Form 601 signature page?

Any application processed directly with the FCC will require an original signature. No fax, photocopy, etc., will be accepted. Any application processed thru a frequency coordinator first does not need an original signature and can be submitted with an electronic signature page. Contact us if you need to know which one is applicable for your application.